How to improve the readability and coherence of your essay, blog post, website or e-mail? How to connect sentences and introduce new ideas? Furthermore, do you know how to attract your reader and keep him or her enjoying your text? There is one answer to all of the questions above – use TRANSITION WORDS.
In this post I will give you the list of words which will help you to organize your text. What’s more, they will expand your vocabulary and improve your confidence in writing.
The transition words give the structure to your text, but you have to remember not to overuse them. If you want to make your composition smooth, just sprinkle some transition words over the text.
We can divide transition words into 8 basic groups.
Cause and effect
- because, so, due to, for the reason that
e.g The company’s financial losses were due to market crisis.
- similarly, likewise, rather, while, in contrast, but, however, on the other hand
e.g. That’s rather a difficult exercise, here’s easier one for you.
- that is to say, in other words, to clarify
e.g. I feel that our last meeting didn’t go well. In other words, it was a disaster.
- above all, most noteworthy, certainly, even more
e.g. The plan certainly looks good on paper.
- meanwhile, during, subsequently, after that
e.g. Jane accepted the money from her business partners and was meanwhile spending it on shoes and bags.
- first of all, also, another, furthermore, finally, firstly/secondly, and, moreover, in addition
e.g. My husband finally agreed to let me go on the business trip.
- likewise, similarly, in the same vein
e.g. Just water the plants once a week, and likewise the ones in the garden.
- as a result, hence, consequently, therefore
e.g. I no longer have the support of my manager. I have therefore decided to change my job.
*Download my free PDF with the list of words. Translate them and write sample sentences. ENJOY! 🙂
Subscribe to our newsletter!