In my last post I wrote that 15 minutes of English is enough to make progress. In stories on my Instagram account I asked you which grammar subject you would like to practice first. It was a close fight but you decided that you want to review ARTICLES – A, AN, THE.
LET’S DO IT!
Here is the plan for you for the upcoming week 🙂 Don’t worry! Sign up for my Newsletter and I’ll help you to go through it and learn everything about ARTICLES 😀
DAY 1 definite article THE
- objects which are considered to be unique (e.g. the sea, the stars, the equator)
- when we mention sth. for the second time (e.g. Her bike struck a tree; you can still see the mark on the tree.)
- adding to the noun a phrase or clause (e.g. the building where I met her; the boy in red)
- a noun which because of the locality can represent only one particular thing (e.g. Please give me the bag. (the bag which is in the wardrobe)
- before superlatives, first, second (the best, the first day)
- the + singular noun = a class of animals/things (e.g. The koala is in danger)
- the + adjective – a class of people (e.g. the young – young people in general)
- before names of seas, rivers, groups of islands, chains of mountains, plural names of countries, deserts, regions (e.g. the Thames, the Sahara, the Netherlands)
- before names: noun + of + noun (e.g. the United States of America, the Cape of Good Hope)
- before names: adjective + noun (e.g. the High Street)
- before names of choirs, orchestras, pop groups (e.g. the Beatles, the Bach Choir)
- the + plural name – the name of the family (e.g. the Carringtons)
- before titles containing “of” (e.g. the Duchess of York)
DAY 2 omission of THE
- before names of places and names of people except those mentioned above;
- possessive case (e.g. the girl’s aunt = the aunt of the girl)
- before the names of meals (e.g. I had eggs for breakfast)
- before names of games (e.g. My best friend plays tennis.)
- before parts of the body and pieces of clothing (e.g. Kate took off her jacket.)
- the word NATURE – the spirit creating the world of plants and animals (e.g. The balance of nature is an enduring concept.)
DAY 3 – revision
This is the plan for the next 3 days. On Thursday I will post part 2.
Are you with me? 😀 Let me know in the comments!