Present Simple is one of the basic tenses which we use in English language. People say that they know it well, but they still make mistakes. In this post I’m going to explain when we use it, how to create affirmative sentences, questions and negations what’s more I will give you the set of words which will help you to create sentences.
General characteristics of people and things, permanent
- things which are generally true: Chinese drink a lot of green tea.
- facts: Warsaw lies on the Vistula.;
- permanent situations: My parents live in Germany./She works in a shop.
Habitual, repeated actions
- She smokes cigarettes.
- They go to work by bus.
- Every Saturday we drive into town to buy bread.
- TITANIC SINKS, 1500 DIE
- FREDDIE STARR JOINS HIS HAMSTER
- MAN WALKS ON THE MOON
Describing series of actions or events (film, play, opera, sports commentaries)
- When the curtain rises, Mary is sitting on the sofa, suddenly the door opens and her husband enters.
- Lewandowski kicks off, Ronaldo passes to Pique…
With stative verbs (can’t be used in Present Continuous), e.g. LIKE, LOVE, SEE, BELIEVE, etc.
- I love you to the moon and back.
- I like Japanese food.
- Most cats hate the water.
Conditional sentences, type 1
- If you want to lose weight, you should eat less bread.
- If Jane drives faster, she’ll get there on time.
Time clauses, after such words as WHEN, AS SOON AS, AFTER
- As soon as Jane earns any money she spends it on bags.
- When it stops snowing her parents will go to the shopping mall.
|I drink||I do not drink (don’t drink)||do I drink?|
|you drink||you don’t drink||do you drink?|
|he/she/it drinkS||he/she/it does not drink (doesn’t drink)||DOES he/she/ it DRINK?|
|we drink||we do not drink||do we drink?|
|you drink||you do not drink||do you drink?|
|they drink||they do not drink||do they drink?|
PRESENT SIMPLE VERB ONLY CHANGES AFTER: HE, SHE, IT
Verbs ending in: SS, SH, CH, X, O add ES e.g
miss – misses
rush – rushes
watch – watches
go – goes
box – boxes
Verbs ending in: Y (y follows a consonant) – we change Y and add IES e.g.
carry – carries
try – tries
Verbs ending in Y (y follows a vowel) – we add S as usual e.g.
say – says
buy – buys
DOWNLOAD FREE WORKBOOK TO PRACTICE PRESENT SIMPLE: